The recipient of a bachelor’s degree in construction management from Brooklyn College, Mohammad Riaz is the manager of a commercial contracting company in New York City that specializes in building restoration. In addition to volunteering at his local mosque, Mohammad Riaz is a member of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).
Ramadan takes place this year from May 5 to June 4. During that time, ISNA is asking all mosques and Islamic centers to take part in the Greening Our Ramadan campaign. ISNA has laid out five priorities and practices in the campaign:
1. conserving food and giving excess food to those in need,
2. using biodegradable paper products,
3. recycling all applicable products, especially plastic water bottles,
4. using energy-saving light bulbs, and
5. leading a khutbah (sermon) on the importance of protecting the environment.
Centers that participate in the campaign and fill out an online pledge will receive a certificate from the Pen and Inkpot Foundation. Moreover, the Pen and Inkpot Foundation, in conjunction with the Arbor Day Foundation, will plant trees on behalf of participating mosques and Islamic centers.